Wednesday, October 12, 2016

A Thought On Attempting To Shock People

Because I'm very bad at talking about my writing, and because one must do that at which one is bad, this will be another post about the unfortunate document on my computer that I call 'my book.' 

As of now, I'm only halfway done with Draft 3 of Book 1, I've barely started Draft 1 of Book 2, and I've got just an outline in my head of Book 3, but I know what I want the overall effect of the ending of each one to be. In a word (or four), I want to shock people. 

Maybe 'shock' is a strong word. I don't know if I actually want to shock said people per se, but I have an idea of what I want Reader X to say when he's done reading said unfortunate documents: 

Book 1: "Gadzooks and goody gumdrops, but that actually makes sense!" 
Book 2: "Hellfire and damnation, where the $@*& did that come from?!" 
Book 3: "No, dammit, I told Character X not to do that and by George he did it!" 

Plotting-wise, I think I've done all right with each one. Execution-wise, I'm not sure. I'm attempting to get the above reactions by 

Book 1: Hinting at the conventional romantic-comedy "twist" and then swerving at the end to my own "twist," while keeping the philosophy behind the romantic-comedy "twist" hints intact. 

Book 2: Focusing on the external conflict of Character A and then jumping in at the climax with the internal conflict of Character B which explains the reason why Character B caused said external conflict with Character A. Also by complicating the mess with melodramatic guns and tomatoes. 

Book 3: Continuously enforcing how hunky-dory everything is throughout the narrative so that Reader X will try to make himself believe that it couldn't possibly be all ruined at the end, and especially not by Character C. 

These are the methods behind my attempts to twist my endings. If any of them conflict with the usual (or unusual) methods of Good Writing, please let me know so I can punch a wall and throw away my laptop before I fix whatever-it-is that would cause a reader unnecessary grief.

Thank you!

Beth out. 






No comments:

Post a Comment